New Nid Dex

The place to be for 40k talk...

New Nid Dex

Postby JazzMan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:45 pm

I noticed that the new tyranid codex has gone up for pre orders along with a few new beasties. It will be interesting to see how they play as they are the most close combat orientated army to be released under 6th edition. Hopefully they have some options to deal with flers in the new book as most of there good weapons were all blast type so couldnt target them
JazzMan
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Re: New Nid Dex

Postby golgoroth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:09 am

Gotta say, Chaos Daemons are much more of a close combat oriented army (in both quality and options), given that only about a quarter of their codex even has ranged options, let alone ones worth considering, whereas Tyranids are still designed to be both (a concept they can't quite seem to balance...).

I've given the new Nid codex a decent look-over, and... was massively disappointed. They appeared to have taken the 5th edition codex, nerf the mono-build units (which I think is fair and a good thing), but without really seeming to boost anything noticeably elsewhere to compensate.

Synapse has become harder to maintain, and far more of a threat to lose for very minimal actual benefit, as in my opinion, simply granting Fearless (and preventing being able to Go to Ground as a result) isn't quite enough for the punishment if you fail. I get that the idea of the army is based around it and I like that concept and the challenge it implies, but there's still balance issues involved.

My other major gripes are mostly the ones that they've had since 6th edition started. Their anti-air is still somewhat lacking (though improved), and their own new aerial additions are so much more vulnerable than other armies (T5 flyers? Really? Bolter fire can deal with that). Seems you basically have to pray that you're getting the 2nd turn. The Hive Crone DOES seem quite strong offensively though. They still cannot ally nor will they likely get access to basically any Dataslates (which I'm ok with fluffwise, but not balance-wise) but get no manner of Force Organization modification to compensate. I'm not sure what the stance on Stronghold Assault and Fortifications is but I got the impression they couldn't use a great deal, if any, of it, which is also incredibly harsh in my opinion. They've lost access to the BRB Psychic Disciplines, and while their own table is decent, it's not great, and it's certainly not Biomancy (though Biomancy WAS a crutch, but that doesn't change the fact other armies still have access to it. Much like other armies have access to Allies and Dataslates).

All of this is just my opinion though :)
golgoroth

Postby JazzMan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:07 am

I have read many similar things online, seems like very few were happy with the dex overal hopefully it plays better than it looks on paper. While t5 flyers do suck, dark angels flyer has guns that are hideously underwhelming unless and the eldar one is armour 10 so I feel like all flyers are going to have weaknesses from here on... I think helldrakes just slipped through under the radar. I hsve only read reviews myself though so cant give an accurate opinon
JazzMan
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby alina » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 pm

The pose they've been using for most of the shots of the Wraithknight (the "I'm just standing here with shopping bag arms" one) looks like pus, but the one where it's striding forward with sword back about to swing looks awesome to me. I think the reason it doesn't look lithe enough has a lot to do with that pose they're using the most, which makes it look like it's trying to look tough (and failing).
alina

Return to Warhammer 40k