Dark Heresy Rules Clarifications

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Dark Heresy Rules Clarifications

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:42 pm

I thought it might be handy to have a place to make a note of all clarifications to the Dark Heresy rules as we uncover things which cause us grief. So, to kick us off, I have a clarification about actions in combat, prompted by the discussion last night about Swift Attack, and what benefit it provides.

For the benefit of those who don't have the rule book handy, Swift Attack allows you to make two attacks as a single Full Action. We wondered exactly what benefit this would provide, because that's simply the same as making two standard attacks, right? Well, that's not exactly the case, as it turns out.

On page 188 of the rule book, under the heading for Half Actions there is a note to the effect that you may only make a single half attack once per turn. Effectively this would rule out someone shooting twice in a turn with a single shot weapon. It would also rule out attacking twice with a melee weapon in close combat.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Mon May 31, 2010 1:09 pm

Fleeing Combat:

Due to a situation that had our humble group surrounded by multiple Dark Eldar warriors the topic of running with your skirt hitched up screaming like a girl surfaced.

As best as I can gather the options available are to Disengage which enables you to leave combat and make a half distance move as a full action. This negates the free attack granted by using the other option of just running from the engagement. If an individual runs from the combat (Fleeing pg. 192) they are open to a free attack from anyone they were engaged in melee with plus the opponents still get any regular attack options. Essentially once you flee, say whilst having two opponents against you in melee, they could both take a swipe at you with their swords/ clubs ect. as free actions. Then once your movement places you say up to 25mtrs from them they can ready a shotgun as a half action and pump all sorts of nastiness into your exposed rear as a standard half action. It may be feasible to run a half distance movement, possibly as a half action, and dive behind cover at the GM's discretion.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Psychic Powers

Postby shanehugh » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Im after a clarification on the damage component of psychic powers. Take Force Bolt for an example as its a new power I have trained in the Telekinetic Discipline. Would it be correct to assume that this power ignores armour as far as damage inflicted goes seeing as its a mental force attack against the target? I am a little confused because reading the description of Psychic Blade (want me one of those!!) it describes a blade of psychic force but this attack is subjected to armour. So does the blade actually manifest as a visible object?

Addit:
After looking through the Official DH Forums I came across a couple of relevant points regarding this issue. Firstly, all damaging psychic abilities are subject to armour/toughness bonus. Secondly all damaging psychic abilities can be dodged. This last point is a little open to the GM's interpretation with some electing to grant the enemy a dodge roll for damaging spells that actually manifest and are visible such as Psychic Blade, Firestorm ect. while non visible manifestations like Force Bolt can't be dodged because you can't see it. May pay Damo to clarify with your thoughts on how we handle these type of attacks because when we eventually face enemies with psychic abilities, being able to dodge or not will be important.
Last edited by shanehugh on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 pm

Actually after looking at the Psychic Blade ability just now is this power described properly? I suppose it is one of the higher threshold powers but I am nearly a 50% chance of manifesting it already.

Psychic Blade requires a successful threshold power test of 19 to manifest the ability which can then be sustained for 10 rounds before retesting is required. At Psy Rating 3 (Mazrum's current rating) I need to roll 19 or better on 3d10 + willpower (WP) bonus. Mazrum's WP bonus is 5 so beating 19 on 3d10+5, nearly a 50-50 chance. The damage is high for the attack, 1d10 rending + 2dmg per WP bonus. The ability also grants armour penetration (AP) equal to 2 x WP bonus so 10 AP. So it ends up a 1d10+10 strike with 10AP, nasty, nasty attack.

Addit: I have looked through the official game errata http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_c ... a-v3.0.pdf and there is one scary bit of info omitted from the core rules as follows. Upon an attack roll of 95-00 my concentration wavers and I hit the nearest convenient target in range (Rufus!) or if nobody is within melee range I strike myself!!!! That would currently kill me.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 am

Grenades:

With the range on grenades it seems there are two schools of thought on how their range works with no firm confirmation of either from FFG. The one that is the most sensible is that range for the grenade (SBx3) identifies your standard range ie. no modifiers. The grenade can still be thrown long/extreme ranges with the standard skill modifier penalties applying. Maximum range is not considered. So say a character throws a grenade with SB of 3. Their base range would be 9m, long 18m, extreme 27m. The standard range skill modifiers apply to the attempt 0 standard, -10 long, -30 extreme.

This system seems a pretty accurate representation of how grenade lobbing would work. One important thing to consider when throwing grenades is that they can be dodged due to them being an area of effect attack (pg 193). An enemy is allowed a dodge attempt as long as they can escape the effects by not moving more than their agility bonus. So if a frag grenade (4m AoE)was centred on Rufus Gallagher (please please), with an agility bonus of say 3 he would be able to move to the outside of the AoE on a successful dodge attempt. If the grenade was dodged I would be thinking a half action to stand would be feasible due to most people likely diving and rolling from the incoming grenade.

The same ruling also applies to full or semi auto fire but with degrees of success on the dodge roll counting as extra dodged hits. So if the attacker landed 4 hits on full auto but you succeed your dodge test by 2 DoS only 1 causes damage (1 dodged for initial roll + 2 more), the other 3 just graze the arm or wherever.
Last edited by shanehugh on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby ClockworkLemon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm

shanehugh wrote:Grenades:

With the range on grenades it seems there are two schools of thought on how their range works with no firm confirmation of either from FFG. The one that is the most sensible is that range for the grenade (SBx3) identifies your standard range ie. no modifiers. The grenade can still be thrown long/extreme ranges with the standard skill modifier penalties applying. Maximum range is not considered. So say a character throws a grenade with SB of 3. Their base range would be 9m, long 18m, extreme 27m. The standard range skill modifiers apply to the attempt 0 standard, -10 long, -30 extreme.

This sounds like a very good idea, as I was scratching my head at a maximum range of 9m. I like it so much that I will be adopting this approach from now on.

One important thing to consider when throwing grenades is that they can be dodged due to them being an area of effect attack (pg 193). An enemy is allowed a dodge attempt as long as they can escape the effects by not moving more than their agility bonus. So if a frag grenade (4m AoE)was centred on Rufus Gallagher (please please), with an agility bonus of say 3 he would be able to move to the outside of the AoE on a successful dodge attempt. If the grenade was dodged I would be thinking a half action to stand would be feasible due to most people likely diving and rolling from the incoming grenade.

Hmmm...

*makes mental note about this*

Is it just me that finds things hard to locate in the rule book?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Actually I usually let others do the work for me so when I want to find out some info on a topic I head over to the DH FFG forums. Look under 'rules' and there are over 50 odd pages of rules queries and clarifications often from the guys at FFG themselves.

Cheating I guess :roll:
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby ClockworkLemon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

shanehugh wrote:Actually I usually let others do the work for me so when I want to find out some info on a topic I head over to the DH FFG forums. Look under 'rules' and there are over 50 odd pages of rules queries and clarifications often from the guys at FFG themselves.

Cheating I guess :roll:

Nope, not cheating. I've been doing the same thing myself. No point reinventing the wheel, after all...
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Return to RPGs