Warhammer Fantasy RPG

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Warhammer Fantasy RPG

Postby shanehugh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 am

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the new system and how it plays. Looks like a heap of hardcovers upcoming in the next few months http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... em=1#start which sparked my interest. Just at a quick glance it looks a lot like a board game minus the board :) but interested in any feedback anyone has.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 am

After a lot of research on this one I'm finally going to commit to purchasing the system and it's companion material.

Ive sat through quite a few podcast's whilst painting mini's listening to how the different aspects of the system play out and have been really impressed with the versatility it provides, especially in that it really promotes roleplaying over roll playing.

It's an abstract system that is geared towards rewarding creativity and provides all the tools for the GM to run it as such.

The bonus for me is the Warhammer setting and the downtrodden and grimy background that makes for a very interesting campaign interspersed with dark humour.

I'm looking to run a demo session or two later in the year...probably on a club night...once I have all the gear and enough time to do it justice.

There are two or three demo scenarios (approx 4 hours) that were released to give a feel for the system that I will likely use before rolling out any of the new campaign scenarios that are available.

Let me know if you have a passing interest.
Last edited by shanehugh on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Darren » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:00 pm

To be honest, I am changing over slowly to more RPG's.
Fantasy being my pick.
Some of these points yourve talked about, How easily do they throw over to other RPG's,
"geared towards rewarding creativity"
gets my attention, as does party stress. It certainly appears to use fortune in a new way that I have not seen in RPG's befor.
Oh why did I ever sell my Gollum
Darren
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby shanehugh » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm

The principle behind the game remains the same as any RPG...GM and players combining to create an unfolding narrative of the players characters.

What I think sets this RPG apart...say from D&D ect. is that the inherent core mechanics promote an increased level of roleplay amongst the group.

I will try to give an example of the mechanic and how it helps.
Keep in mind that my perspective comes from not having actually played the game but from research online and listening to various session podcast's as "background entertainment" whilst painting :)

Firstly it's an abstract system...and that point alone creates a different play experience as compared to say Pathfinder, especially during combat.
The core system functions off a dice pool mechanic (cue groans!) but it works extremely well from what I have heard and it is this mechanic that pushes the roleplay aspects further.

Think of Dark Heresy with it's percentile system...rolling a target number to achieve an objective. Then on top of that Dark Heresy also has degrees of success and failure so if you succeed with your attempted action...and do it well (more degrees of success) you get an added bonus.
That system is well and good but it still boils down to you succeed or not depending on the target number.
What this system introduces (remembering that Dark Heresy is practically the Warhammer 2nd ed. RPG adapted for the 40K setting) is an added layer where whilst yes you may have succeeded at what you were trying to achieve but at the same time it may have not come off as expected. Basically combining success and failure into the result of an action.

Here's an example from a bloody funny session that I listened to the other day.

One of the characters...a Bounty Hunter from memory...was attempting to drive home a vicious blow on a beastman that had attacked a merchant wagon.
The player rolled his allocated dice reflecting his skill with weapons, the aggressive nature of his attack (reflected by stance meter) and any other incidental factors that would impact his chances.
What the system has done away with, well actually it still exists but in a hidden fashion, is the math behind factoring all the various bonuses to hit, range, flanking ect.
Instead the dice you roll and the number already have it already factored in.

In the situation of the bounty hunter he fairly wailed down on the beastman delivering a sickening blow to the side as indicated by the success of his roll (represented by characteristic dice).
The trouble is that at the same time he also rolled a bane (failure). These dice are added to the pool according to what circumstances currently confront the PC.
They come in the form of Boons (good things) and Banes (bad things).
So for something like the bounty hunter his furious assault on the beastman...whilst gaining him an extra skill dice reflecting his reckless stance and attack (increasing his chance to hit) he also had to roll 1 or more dice that may cause added detrimental or beneficial effects.
The GM described his attempts as though his sword had sliced through the beastmans side opening up a large ragged gash.
As the sword passed through the beastmans side it thundered into the side of the cart, shards of wood flying into the air, and the sword becoming firmly lodged in the wagon (1 round to drag it free).

The dice mechanic enables instant recognition that you succeed but at the same time indicates not only the degree of success but also act as a tool for both players and the GM to add flavour to combat through mishaps and critical successes.
The reviews I have listened to indicate that players instantly recognise the added failures/successes and start offering up their own ideas as to what has transpired with their character taking pressure off the GM to narrate everything and adding more to roleplay in sessions.

This is only a tiny example and I've probably created more questions than answers

:shock:
Last edited by shanehugh on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Darren » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:00 pm

I like the sound of repercussions.
"Belford the giant slayer smacks the Ork in the jaw, rolling a huge amount of damage and knocking the beast out of this week.
Due to his Beserk action though he also managers to break a few of his own knuckles in the process."
No picking any locks for the rest of the day
Darren
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby shanehugh » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm

The beauty of the system from my point of view is that the repercussions work both ways due to the fortune dice.

Depending on the situation the GM can quickly decide whether the action to be performed is easy or difficult and adjust the roll accordingly.

This lets him factor in anything from weather conditions and environmental influence to random acts of bad luck; as happened to me last night in DH when I ran down a flight of stairs and attempted to vault over the rails only to slam face first onto the floor below semi conscious.

The mentioned mechanic is really only scratching the surface of what it offers.
Other things that sound good are the party stress mechanic which ensures a good pace is kept.

Diverse bunch of lowdown bums for characters.

Every man and his mad dog is out to get you and if they don't the taint of chaos will.

The mutations, permanent disabilities, corruption, critical wounds systems that are all further advanced and detailed from the base Dark Heresy type format.

Social encounters are a real focus of the system and work well under the core mechanic.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Darren » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Enough said allready,
I enjoy a bit of spice,
and more than like what you have skimmed off the top.

Keep us informed of Master Guide
Darren
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby shanehugh » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Sent off an order for a heap of the guides and vaults last night for this one. Will have a look through and maybe bring them into the club one night when they arrive.

Still think I may be short a few items to run a four man (+ GM) session by going the guide/vault route as opposed to the core box, but I wanted hardcovers!
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:47 am

Hmmm....I'm going to go broke at this rate!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=2024
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:14 pm

It will be interesting to see how well mounted combat is handled in this system with the release of Omen's of War. The abstract nature of the game and the dice mechanic should lend itself well to portraying all those bold feats of horsemanship.

Also the severe injury rules sound interesting....as if there aren't enough ways to get totally messed up in the setting already!

From the looks of things severe injuries are there for the long haul...eye patch or wooden leg anyone?
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am

All my books and vaults turned up today...yay...sort of.

*sigh* one book, the GM's guide looks like someones dog chewed it on the way over cover in marks and crushed at one end :cry:

Players guide and the vaults on the other hand are all in pristine condition to help soothe my OCD.

Now that I have opened them I realise why the core box is still the best way into the game as I only recieved one set of the funky dice and need about 5. Luckily you can buy them seperate.
Still have to outlay some more cash for other books and a few of the campaign supplements.

Quality of the stuff is first rate...stacks of cards, tokens ect. all well finished and durable.
Going to dive head first into the players guide to learn the ropes!
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby JazzMan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:23 pm

I fyou wind up running a demo I might be interested in having a look, I know nothing of RPG's but it does intrique me
JazzMan
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby iron_father » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:04 am

I'd be keen to give it a crack also.
iron_father
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby shanehugh » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Will give those interested a yell when I get closer to running a demo session. Want to make sure I have all the core books and enough gear to do a group of five justice first.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:10 pm

iron_father, I will send off an order to Warstore in 2 weeks.

If your still keen to pick up the core box set I will grab one as well along with 2 or three other books and vaults that I want.

That should cover all the dice needs and basic action cards plus it will be handy to have a couple of spare rules copies for others to use.

Let me know if you want me to tack it onto my order. (listed at $69.95 as opposed to $120.00 here).

I will probably be grabbing some Flames of War gear as well so it will be a decent sized order.

Might pay to sit down one club night (or another night downstairs here) and run through the system with those interested in trying it before jumping into character creation.

That being because character choices and progression differ a fair bit from your standard RPG.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to RPGs