Black Crusade - how fun is it playing the bad guys?

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Black Crusade - how fun is it playing the bad guys?

Postby Dead1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:43 am

The answer is HELL FUN!

We had our first session of Black Crusade.

It was an awesome story motivated adventure. It was very Firefly/Serenity inspired - an agri world torn by two rival groups hoping to control the grox trade through dirty tricks.

Highlights include:

1. Cold blooded murder of two security guards and a prostitute
2. Shearing someone's face off with a chainsword
3. One of the party members drugging someone to see effects of overdose
4. Another party member chopping off a dead security guard's hand and shoving it ....somewhere on the security guard.
5. Burning down a brothel
6. Being attacked by carniverous locusts.
7. A party member mowing down lots of goons with a captured heavy machine gun.
8. Another party member blowing away people with a hand cannon with just about every shot.
7. Perils of the warp - flickering in and out of time for my psyker.
8. Psyker reads poos like some people read tea leaves.
9. Driving around in some ancient tractor.
"It will be so loud that if we move in next door to you, your lawn will die".
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Re: Black Crusade - how fun is it playing the bad guys?

Postby shanehugh » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:58 am

Those evil chaos spawn are at it again...no wonder the Imperium is so paranoid!
Going to use a couple of the rule changes from BC myself down the track namely the burst modifiers (semi/full) and the melee combat changes which seem a lot more suitable that the DH/RT variants
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:35 am

Great to hear the positive feedback, Dead1. I have already started working on the next two episodes.

BC has it's goods and bads with rules. As we are only beginners, I have reduced how complex shooting is in relation to cover. Usually there's no modifier and one must track degradable cover. I've simply included a negative to hit modifier to simplify things at this stage. After all, this is a RPG game, not a skirmish game.

I'll be introducing the Infamy Points next time however I find that this is also more complicated than required!
+Rogue Trader Campaign Updates+
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby shanehugh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Cover is a big issue in all forms of 40K RPG's and the RAW do seem a bit convoluted. I really like the idea of it being an active part of combat tactics but at the same time don't want to measure the thickness of every chair, door or pillow the PC's use for protection!
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Dead1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:39 am

To Hit modifier is best way of doing cover. Degrading cover is a lot of work. Of course if the cover gets hit by a melta gun then it's appropriate to degrade the cover but then keep it simple (i.e. "that table is incinerated and gone, you're now in the open").
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 am

A funny sequence of events occurred in our last Black Crusade session that I simply must share.

The heretics had just initiated a Compact at Surgub, Q'sal and transported back to their own orbiting spaceship so that they could travel to Belphagion. However as they attempted to start up the void engines of their ship there was no response from the crew. The heretics, consisting of a Bloodpact veteran, a pseudo pig daemon sorcerer, a tech-heretek and his utility servitor, investigated the matter and found mutilated bodies of the crew. At the centre of the slaughter was Meduson, a former ally of theirs that was not too happy that the heretics recently aided in the downfall of his people city (Talnor).
Combat ensued against Meduson, a powerful Talnor sorcerer, however he started to Push when casting Doombolt. At one time, Meduson made two Perils of the War occur; Vice Versa and the summoning of an angry Bloodletter.

The Vice Versa peril randomly switches Meduson's mind with another entity nearby. As the GM, I rolled to determine whose body would be targeted and what do I get? The Servitor!

So the lobotomised mind of the servitor controls the Sorcerer's body and so does very little apart from so drooling and uttering error codes ("00110111"), whilst Meduson's mind is automatically lobotomised being within the servitor and also can do very little except utter pitiful screams of terror. The hereteks don't realise the swapping of souls and but see Meduson's body in a weak stage, so they press their attack, killing him. About the same time, the Bloodletter notices the switch in souls and smashes the servitor into bits before the minds swap back. The daemon then vanished back into the Immaterium.

So the heretics got lucky*, except for the loss of a servitor! Thinking back, it would have been very interesting if the daemon and Meduson had swapped minds o_O

*Well, not really. In a classic villain cliché, the heretics realise that Meduson had engaged the warp drive beforehand and that the ship would re-materialise into the system's spun. They attempted to override this (they had literally 5 minutes to figure out a match stick puzzle, simulating the override process). The heretek attempted to delay the countdown with a Tech a Use skill and needed 95 or less. He rolled 97! The time creeped by and failing the puzzle, they just have enough time to make it into the escape pods. The ship is destroyed, along with a mass of crew and slaves!
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby Dead1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 am

It was quite funny.

Very good session with lots of laughs and lots of deranged mayhem.

It'll be hard going over to RPGing an Imperial with their slightly less homicidal nature and general disdain of useless yet amusing mutations.
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 pm

We'll have to wait and see.

Jonno has taken the role of the Rogue Trader who because of his past, already has 25 Insanity Points (when rolling this, he rolled a 2D10+5 and got two 10's).
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby Dead1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Let me guess, you get 100 points!

At least I probably won't start off as the most deranged one for once.
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Yes, Insanity Points act in similar way to Corruption Points. However you also track Corruption points in Rogue Trader, so you can be both crazy and warp corrupted.

In Black Crusade, they explain the lack of Insanity Points being that character are already fully insane (i.e. being dedicated to Chaos). However I disagree with this notion; it's all a matter of perception. At leas those who worship Chaos can usually expect some kind of "blessing" (beautiful mutations, summoning daemons, etc) - what does the Emperor do for you? Some silly litany book and prayer beads? Pffft!
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby thunderking » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:05 pm

I would agree. If you were a Chaos nutter and you thought people were out to get you, it probably wouldn't be paranoia :p
thunderking
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Dead1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 am

At least as a Chaos nutter, you can be proactive about managing your paranoia for example by opening fire on a crowd of civilians who witnessed you killing some Arbites.
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Postby thunderking » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Quite soothing, I imagine. to some of the voices, anyway.
thunderking
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to RPGs