Dungeons & Dragons: still life in the in the old girl yet!

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Dungeons & Dragons: still life in the in the old girl yet!

Postby shanehugh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:25 am

Looks like Wizard's of the Coast are making a last ditch effort to save their downward spiraling D&D sales...5th Ed!

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx ... l/20120109

Getting Monte Cooke back on board will be a big plus for the edition but you wonder where the hell they go now given the divisive nature of 4th Ed which played havoc with the player base.

4th Ed had some innovative ideas but focused to much in my opinion on tactical movement with grid based miniatures detracting a lot from role-play and immersion.

At least it appears they are willing to listen to community feedback given the beta play-test alluded to in the article which probably harks back to the successful 18 month beta that Paizo did with the Pathfinder RPG.

Hopefully they shock and create a truly innovative and engaging system but somehow I have my doubts
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Re: Dungeons & Dragons: still life in the in the old girl ye

Postby Dead1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 am

I don't think D&D works for a lot of people in the 21st century. You have to use your imagination and there are no constant audio/visual bombardments as there are in video games.

We play Version 2.5. which despite some quirks works well enough. No need for grids or micromanagement of everything.
"It will be so loud that if we move in next door to you, your lawn will die".
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Realistically 4th ed. is the main offender for reliance on tactical positioning with a large percentage of skills granting or impacting movement (ie. move opponent back 1 square when hit).

Hell you don't even move in feet anymore in 4th ed but squares instead...

In my opinion they dabbled way too much into board game elements and the resulting hybrid version RPG failed on a few levels.

It will be interesting to see where they go with their digital tabletop initiatives and the likes as that was pushed as a main focus going forward.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Dead1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 am

Wow, that really sounds too limiting. RPGs need to be massively flexible with their rules to allow maximum role playing opportunities.
"It will be so loud that if we move in next door to you, your lawn will die".
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Postby shanehugh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Eek...lead developer (Monte Cook) pulled the pin citing differences with management regarding the direction of the new version of D&D.

Wonder what the differences were...major blow to the chances of this edition reuniting a fractured player base.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Dead1 wrote:I don't think D&D works for a lot of people in the 21st century. You have to use your imagination and there are no constant audio/visual bombardments as there are in video games.

I disagree, I think RPG have come back over the last few years but away from Wizards of the Coast/D&D. As Shane said, the reason D&D has failed in recent years is its push for grid gaming.
Just have a look of RPG Geek for the massive list of different RPGs available of every genre thinkable.
+Rogue Trader Campaign Updates+
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby Scarface Turner » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Looks like they have made the decision to utilise the realms (Forgotten Realms) as the base campaign setting for the 5th Ed. books which is a pretty safe gamble in my opinion.
Sure it may not be everyones ideal but it's a well defined high fantasy setting, rich with history, established characters and locales.
I have no idea where they have gone with the storyline over the last couple of decades (last read a FR book in my late teens) but I doubt the setting is completely unrecognisable.
Tiamat looks to play a pivotal role in the new fluff with the first campaign supplement rumoured to delve deep into the workings of her dragon cult followers!

Temple of Tiamat (5th Ed. artwork)

Tiamat (5th Ed. artwork)
“Tüm kurtlar Kaplandan korkar”
http://shanehugh.wordpress.com/
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Scarface Turner » Fri May 23, 2014 1:40 pm

5th Edition details are starting to surface. The Players Handbook will be released first followed by the Monster Manual and DM's Guide.
There are also two 96 page hardcover campaign adventures releasing at the same time for those with little prep time.
Artwork in this edition really stands out...very high quality and a step up from the drab at times 4th Ed; work.
All the cover art to date look great but the red text logo and splash banner looks poor imo...why the hell everyone thinks a funky logo is a must these days is beyond me.

“Tüm kurtlar Kaplandan korkar”
http://shanehugh.wordpress.com/
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to RPGs