Way of the Wiked: Knot of Thorns

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Way of the Wiked: Knot of Thorns

Postby shanehugh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 am

After reading the glowing reviews this third party Pathfinder AP received on the Paizo boards and elsewhere I thought I'd pick up the PDF to see what their work is like.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8tmp/disc ... horns#tabs

Reading through the first book in the AP it stands clearly...alongside Slumbering Tsar and maybe Rise of the Runelords, as the benchmark for published adventure campaigns for the PFRPG.
A fantastic plot, the setting detail is just first class and every little detail has been covered to make running the AP an absolute breeze.
The authors deliberately leave openings for side quests and GM created material for those wishing to add their own touch to the campaign but realistically from what I have read to date there would be no real need.
Never really considered running an evil themed party through a campaign but this will definitely be tucked away for use down the track....

-----------------------------------------------------

The Kingdom of Talingarde is the most noble, virtuous, peaceful nation in the known world. Herein is the story of how you burned this insipid paradise to the ground.

It's only fair. They burned you first.

They condemned you for your wicked deeds. They branded you. They shipped you to the worst prison in the kingdom. In three days, you die. In three days, the do-gooders pray they'll be rid of you.

They've given you three days. The fools, that's more than you need to break out. And then, it will be their turn to face the fire.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Re: Way of the Wiked: Knot of Thorns

Postby Salamandis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:55 am

LOL!!!

I love it. sounds like great fun to take the self righteous bastards down a peg or 3 :twisted:
Salamandis
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ClockworkLemon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 am

shanehugh wrote:Never really considered running an evil themed party through a campaign but this will definitely be tucked away for use down the track....

That sounds like awesome fun. I don't know why, but I have the urge to create an evil goblin bard character. He could be called Rakket, and play obnoxiously loud bagpipes... :twisted:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Salamandis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 am

LOL, I like the idea of playing either a Necromancer or a Cleric of some nasty deity ....... ;)
Salamandis
Groupie
Groupie

Postby shanehugh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 am

I have the first three AP books now and have to say that the second installment "Way of the Wicked: Call Forth Darkness" is quite possibly the best printed RPG adventure I have ever read...simply a fantastic, creative piece of work.
Book four and five are also now released and I will pick them up for a look...the reviews on both hint that they continue the same very high standard.

Question...
What would you run as an evil protagonist...what cooky crimes landed you in Branderscar Prison where you begin this little sojourn?

I shudder to think of Iron Father given free reign to torture and pillage :shock:
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby ClockworkLemon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 am

shanehugh wrote:Question...
What would you run as an evil protagonist...what cooky crimes landed you in Branderscar Prison where you begin this little sojourn?

So many evil characters, so little time to use them all...

Here's a short list of characters that I've thought about:
1) Rakket, the previously mentioned goblin bard. Imprisoned for crimes against music, and slashing the throats of everyone who told him to shut up.
2) Aleksi Velika, imprisoned because of his penchant for sex, drugs, and beating the shit out of people, often at the same time.
3)Waldo the Amazing, a former stage illusionist who was imprisoned after his latent sorcerous powers manifested during a routine performance, with tragic consequences. Has been in and out of prison, as he is unable to find any sort of employment due to distrust by just about everyone. This process has left him a bitter, cynical shell of his former self.

So, yeah, there's my ideas, I just can't settle on one to run...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Salamandis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:49 am

Ohhh the possibilities....

How about a necromancer (a CE Drow) that that simply cannot stand the waste of burying the dead when they can be so .... useful around the house, farm, city, etc.... He has been attacked and persecuted so many times over the years that he has come to hate all authority and godly types that interfere in his works. Most recently he had a batch of fresh (well kind of) 'stock' that a stupid paladin in shiny armor chopped up for no good reason..... Now he is sitting in this hole waiting for an opportunity to escape. Long range plans are to inundate the do gooders cities with a horde of undead....
Salamandis
Groupie
Groupie

Postby iron_father » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Just remember. Reanimation begins at home.
======================================
Behold! For I saw him rise out the x-trail!
And upon his face was the mighty beard of knowledge. And
from the boot and backseat of his car did he
produce the multitude of wargames crafted by the hand of
man. And lo his knowledge of all of them was mighty.

Excerpt from "King Of Nerds"
Found on a papyrus chocolate wrapper with the
Dead sea scrolls
iron_father
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby Cailus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Playing evil characters in a fantasy world...
If you have room, I would be keen to join!

Shane - can you please PM with a response?
+Rogue Trader Campaign Updates+
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby shanehugh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

PM sent Dan.
shanehugh
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Any newsif this campaign will go ahead?
+Rogue Trader Campaign Updates+
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby Scarface Turner » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Not in the near future. Handed the GM reigns over to James for a while until my wife finishes her post grad work in September and I get some free time back.
Pathfinder is still going strong but its been a while since ive sat in on a session playing....last I heard they had locked my Dwarven theif/bard in the bilges due to him contracting a virulent strain of bowel rot that had him dropping kilos like a drunk drops rum jugs!
“Tüm kurtlar Kaplandan korkar”
http://shanehugh.wordpress.com/
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to RPGs