Casual Friday Night RPGs?

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Casual Friday Night RPGs?

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Well, I'm struggling. I need my RPG fix, and I'm not getting it. I'm wondering if there's anyone interested in taking part in some sort of casual RPG stuff once a month on a Friday night at all. I've been looking into a few quick and easy RPGs, and have a few things I'd like to try out.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Re: Casual Friday Night RPGs?

Postby Cailus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 pm

I am thinking that Casual rpg's misses out on the character development. Though the likes of Deathwatch could work.
+Rogue Trader Campaign Updates+
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby ClockworkLemon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Cailus wrote:I am thinking that Casual rpg's misses out on the character development. Though the likes of Deathwatch could work.

I've been having a look at an RPG called Dungeon World, which should fit the bill quite nicely. It's designed to be easy to play with minimal preparation, so we can have an ongoing story, with whichever players are present on the night without too much stress.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Scarface Turner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:45 pm

Good choice....one of the best "new" systems I have read through in quite a while.

Focuses on group storytelling and a mechanic to support without the rules bloat.

Such an adaptable system to pretty well anything you can think up.
“Tüm kurtlar Kaplandan korkar”
http://shanehugh.wordpress.com/
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby cyph » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Have a look at Shotguns and Zombies, for the fun of B Movie horror zombie survival style RPG goodness.

Or, as said.... Deathwatch :)
cyph
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Scarface Turner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 am

Savage Worlds is another that may interest you CW.

http://www.peginc.com/games/savage-worlds/

Another extremely flexible, rules lite system with a pretty intuitive game mechanic revolving around dice upgrades for skills, abilities and attributes ranging from d4's through to d12's.

Target number for success plus or minus modifiers for ease/difficulty of task being performed.

So if you are poorly skilled at say fighting (d4 Fighting skill) you are rolling a d4 anytime you try to hit in melee combat with the games target number for success always FOUR.

Possible to get either positive or negative modifiers as well so if your knocked on your rampant deuce and try a swipe at someone a -1 or -2 modifier could be added to your roll.

Obviously the more skilled you get (purchase dice upgrades) the better chance of success with any given task.

System again focuses more on group story telling trying to encourage dynamic encounters although probably not to the extent of Dungeon World.

Hero Lab support as well for ease of stat block creation is a big plus.

Also has plenty of custom supported campaign world settings.
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Cailus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Scarface Turner wrote:Another extremely flexible, rules lite system with a pretty intuitive game mechanic revolving around dice upgrades for skills, abilities and attributes ranging from d4's through to d12's.

Target number for success plus or minus modifiers for ease/difficulty of task being performed.

So if you are poorly skilled at say fighting (d4 Fighting skill) you are rolling a d4 anytime you try to hit in melee combat with the games target number for success always FOUR.

They use this system in Force on Force and I think it's a neat way. Have yet to see it in practice.

I'd be interested in a casual Friday session, whatever it may be (though I couldn't make it every 1st Friday of the month due to D&D).
We're struggling with numbers for Friday so better sooner than later that this gets organised. If Friday numbers continue to go badly, it may not last for that long!
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby ClockworkLemon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Cailus wrote:I'd be interested in a casual Friday session, whatever it may be (though I couldn't make it every 1st Friday of the month due to D&D).
We're struggling with numbers for Friday so better sooner than later that this gets organised. If Friday numbers continue to go badly, it may not last for that long!

well, having read more of the Dungeon World rules, I am very keen to start a campaign once I'm back from holidays. My preference would be to have a predetermined schedule, and to run with whatever players turn up on the night. From a GMs perspective, the nice thing about dungeon world is the fact that character creation can be done on the fly, and seems to be a very quick process.

At this stage I'd like to run a game every 4 weeks, on a weekend when I'm not working. That being the case, I could start from the 19th of July, for those who are interested.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Scarface Turner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:05 pm

The nice thing about DW is the "whole thing" can be done on the fly....players are centre stage and basically it's them that determine where the story goes.

Having read the book I think the whole thing is a real breath of fresh air for RPG's...and not having to ever roll a dice as GM is a bonus :w00t:

There are some really good resources out there CW that explains how and when to implement "soft moves and "hard moves" into the narrative.

Dungeon World Tavern is a great start and there are more than a few actual play podcasts that are great for seeing how other GM's approach the system.

I think one of the best things the game brings is the focus on players to actually DESCRIBE what they want to do within the fiction before any skill roll is attributed by the GM.
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Cailus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Cool, how about we set a start date?
Suggest every last Friday of the month, starting this month?

ClockWorkLemon - were you keen to do the GM-ing? I guess the person GM-ing can also be flexible as it's a casual thing!!!
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby ClockworkLemon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Last Friday of the month works. As for GM, I'm keen to run a few sessions of Dungeon World, but I'm also open to rotating GM duties as well, so that I can have a chance to run a character or two.

So, to get the ball rolling, the first session of "Raiders of the Lost Temple of the Crystal Skull" will be on the 26th of July. We can probably accommodate up to 6 players, for those who are interested.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Cailus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm in!
If possible, can you provide a list of classes and races available so we can start thinking about our character?
Cailus
Forum Champ.
Forum Champ.

Postby ClockworkLemon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Okay, the classes available in Dungeon World are:
- Bard
- Cleric
- Druid
- Fighter
- Paladin
- Ranger
- Thief
- Wizard

Race selection will depend on exactly which class you choose to play. I'll print out a set of character sheets this week and bring them along with me to the club so people can have a look and see which classes take their fancy.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Return to RPGs