Online RPG (was: Idea for an RPG)

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Online RPG (was: Idea for an RPG)

Postby ClockworkLemon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:07 pm

So, I was lying in bed last night, struggling to sleep, and I had an idea for what could be a fun Dark Heresy campaign. I was a bit bummed about that, because I couldn't see any way I'd get to run it. That got me thinking about how I could do something with the idea, with the time I have available to me, and that didn't require trying to find a way to get a bunch of people together at the same time and place to play.

Anyway, I had an idea; why not run a game (such as it is) here on the forum, in the In Character section? That way anyone can join in as time permits them. I'm thinking that rather than trying to run an actual game of Dark Heresy, I'll use Dark Heresy for the background material (e.g. for character careers, etc.), but stick to story telling/role playing to progress the story line. Outcomes of combat and things like that will be based purely on how awesome the description sounds (e.g. "I hit him with my sword" won't do as well as "With a blood-curdling shriek I swing my sword, and try to part his head from his body")

Would anyone be interested in something like that?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Re: Idea for an RPG

Postby Scarface Turner » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Damien.
Look into this having just been released, basically a one stop shop for campaign management that will support online play.
http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks
Some features are still being currently worked on but expect a huge following due to the Hero Lab connection.
Was lookjng at it myself over the last few days...mighty ambitious and impressive!

Also looks like DH gets a revamp with the open beta now closed for 2nd ed. and print release imminent.
Be interesting to see where they go with it.

Same with the venerable D&D series with the 5th ed. very close to release.
Judging by the beta player packets that were released and that I got to check out, they have made very big steps towards drawing those disillusioned 3rd/4th ed. players back in...me included.
Will have to see how they package it all up before committing to any investment in the edition though :-)

edit: actual link added...doh!
“Tüm kurtlar Kaplandan korkar”
http://shanehugh.wordpress.com/
Scarface Turner
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Idea for an RPG

Postby ClockworkLemon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:50 pm

Had a look at RealmWorks over the weekend, and I was quite excited, until I saw no Mac version. I've spent a bit of time poking around on the 'Net, and found what appears to be a good web based system with support for voice/video chat at roll20.net. From what I can see it's not tied to any particular system, and is completely free. I'm planning on having a dink around with it, to see how well it works.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Re: Online RPG (was: Idea for an RPG)

Postby ClockworkLemon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:20 am

Having played around with Roll20 last night, I'm very impressed. The system is very flexible, you can make character sheets with any stats you like, any sorts of abilities, talents, skills, whatever. I'm going to try my hand at making a generic Dark Heresy character that should be able to be used as a template for player character sheets.

Even if I can't do that, I'm convinced that the site will work well for games. With that in mind, is anyone interested in taking part? The system requirements are pretty basic, computer, iPad or Android tablet and 'Net access. I'm thinking one session a month, probably on a Saturday night, although if anyone has other suggestions, let me know.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Return to RPGs