Monthly RPG on Thursday nights?

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Monthly RPG on Thursday nights?

Postby ClockworkLemon » Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Hey everyone, just wondering if there's anyone interested in taking part in a monthly RPG session at the club on a Thursday night? I'm quite keen to get either a Dark Heresy or Pathfinder campaign going, depending on people's preference for sci-fi or fantasy themes.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Re: Monthly RPG on Thursday nights?

Postby Walkmana » Tue May 05, 2015 8:05 pm

What edition were you thinking of running of dark heresy? regardless both me and my GF are keen :)
Walkmana

Postby ClockworkLemon » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Walkmana wrote:What edition were you thinking of running of dark heresy? regardless both me and my GF are keen :)

I have 1st edition, and haven't had a chance to check out the 2nd edition yet. From what I've read there's things in the 2nd edition that are cool, but I think I'll just stick with 1st, as I already have heaps of stuff prepared.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Walkmana » Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 pm

cool well whatever you chose to go with i will be available and keen
Walkmana

Postby Walkmana » Thu May 07, 2015 10:21 pm

Just looking up going as a Tech Priest in dark heresy looks so much fun :0 just curious what books are we able to draw stuff from?
Walkmana

Postby ClockworkLemon » Fri May 08, 2015 11:40 am

Walkmana wrote:Just looking up going as a Tech Priest in dark heresy looks so much fun :0 just curious what books are we able to draw stuff from?

That is going to come down to which version I end up using. I know I said I'd prefer to stick with the 1st edition, but I got the pdf of the 2nd edition rulebook yesterday, and from what I saw last night I'd love to use that instead. The best thing I've seen so far (and I've only really skimmed through the first 3 or 4 chapters) is that character creation and advancement are much more flexible in the 2nd edition. I still need to have a more in depth read to see which version I'll run. Basically, if I run 2nd edition it'll just be stuff from the core rule book, but if I run 1st then stuff from The Inquisitor's Handbook is also available.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Walkmana » Sat May 09, 2015 2:47 pm

So how much interest have you been getting for the game? I will be at the club thursday
Walkmana

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sat May 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Walkmana wrote:So how much interest have you been getting for the game? I will be at the club thursday

Not a huge amount. Yourself obviously, possibly Corran from the other thread, and that's it. I'm going to try to get to the club this Thursday to see if anyone else is interested.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Walkmana » Sat May 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Sadly the forums are not the busiest I recon you could get some good interest from the club in person
Walkmana

Postby Walkmana » Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Also I have been working what my potential character would be like
Walkmana

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sat May 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Walkmana wrote:Sadly the forums are not the busiest I recon you could get some good interest from the club in person

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Oh, another thing, I'm pretty much convinced that I'll run the new edition, but it does mean that using stuff like Adeptus Sororitas won't be possible, as they're covered in the Enemies Within expansion, which isn't available as a pdf yet. Although, to be honest, there's less emphasis on roles like AdMech, Imperial Guard and the like. It's treated as though that's in the past, and now you're taking on a new role. The new edition also emphasises the covert, undercover nature of most Inquisition work.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Walkmana » Sat May 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Oh I think she was to play an assassin now lol, hmm the only bad stuff that I can see is that many of the enemies stats are too high for what they and psychic powers kinda strange. I love the character gen though really
Flexible
Walkmana

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sun May 10, 2015 12:10 am

Walkmana wrote:Oh I think she was to play an assassin now lol,

Ah, well that makes life a little easier then

hmm the only bad stuff that I can see is that many of the enemies stats are too high for what they and psychic powers kinda strange.

That's a common complaint that I've read, but I'm not sure that it's really a big concern. Most people seem to be comparing the starting level characters with the higher level NPCs, and sure, one on one the NPC will wipe the floor with the PC. Thing is, in a game you've got a team of PCs working together, so they should be able to handle tougher opponents. The other thing is that hopefully the GM will use a bit of discretion to make sure that the group isn't going to go up against something that they have little chance of beating (unless it's a boss fight...)

Edit:
Well, seems I might be wrong there. I've just been reading the shiny new section on creating balanced encounters, and it states that an elite NPC should be on par with a PC. The few elite NPC stats I looked at are definitely stronger than a freshly rolled PC, but as I said before, if the GM has half a brain it shouldn't ever be a problem.

As for the psychic powers, I think that they seem fairly intuitive, certainly more intuitive than the 1st editions psychic powers. I'll be honest, I've only ever run one campaign with a psyker involved, so my memory of the rules is rather hazy. Still, the rules in 2nd ed. seem pretty good.
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Postby Walkmana » Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 am

Yeah it is only a minor problem with too strong npc's you should read the stating adventure boss, spoiler!!!!! is a bloody deamon host lol
Walkmana

Postby Dead1 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:54 pm

Having played both Black Crusade and Rogue Trader, most enemies aren't too difficult. Sure you'll die sometimes but that's when things like Fate Points kick in

The only problem encountered is that some enemies are quitre boring to fight due to so many wounds (same problem encountred in D&D). Cailus solved that problem by adjusting the rules to make them more narrative - Degrees of Success can be exploited to "push it" (more damage but greater risk) or to play it safe (single normal hit but less risk due to use of cover). Pushing it kills big baddies quicker but might result in your character getting hurt more.

For massed combat we just use the "hordes" rules out the Rogue Trader book albeit with a simplified reaction system stolen from Force on Force tabletop wargame to create a less predictable initiative system.
"It will be so loud that if we move in next door to you, your lawn will die".
Lemmy on Motorhead
Dead1
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to RPGs