Dark Heresy 2nd Edition

Whether it's Dark Heresy, or Dungeons and Dragons, come here for all your RPG needs...

Dark Heresy 2nd Edition

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sat May 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Apparently I've been out of the loop too long, I completely missed the release of the second edition of Dark Heresy. I took the opportunity to read some reviews of the new edition before getting the rulebook, and I have to say, I wasn't impressed by the mixed reviews I read. It seems that people either love the new rules, or hate them, and for mostly the same reasons, which suggested to me not so much a failing on the part of the system, but just a difference in expectations on the part of the reviewers.

So, I decided to grab the pdf version of the rule book, figuring that if I hated the new version I wasn't out a heap of dosh, and if I liked it I could then grab the dead tree version too. I haven't had a thorough read of everything yet, but what I have seen is promising. One of the things I wasn't keen on in the 1st edition was character creation, it always seemed a bit clunky and complicated. I'm happy to say that the new rules do a much better job (at least in my opinion). I found that it was a lot easier to take a character concept and work from that in 2nd edition than in first.

As a bit of an experiment I decided to dig up a couple of the first characters I ever made for Inquisitor, and roll them up as Acolytes in Dark Heresy, one for each edition. Building my character in 2nd edition took a while (probably because I'm a bit rusty), but I found myself thinking about the choices I was making in terms of what worked according to my character's background, with the few random rolls I had to make simply providing inspiration for shaping the character. In first edition, though, it was more a case of follow the prompts, roll the dice, fill in the blanks, and then scratch my head at the end because the character I'd made did not fit the mental image I started with.

It seems like the system of talents and skills is more streamlined in the new edition, which I think is a good thing. Leveling up is completely non-existent now, which I've been kind of scratching my head over. You simply buy stat increases, skills, talents etc. as you gain xp and have time to train. After a bit of thought, I actually like it, because it feels more natural. Your character still improves as you train and do stuff, you just don't have a little number saying "I'm this level!"

I still haven't dug through combat, equipment and other stuff, but hopefully the rest is the same quality. I'm actually looking forward to giving the new rules a whirl, particularly with the new background material and locations introduced in this edition.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Re: Dark Heresy 2nd Edition

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sun May 10, 2015 12:27 am

Had a further read of the rules tonight, and found a lot more stuff to like. Combat seems to be much the same as it was before, although it is possible to get critical injury effects a bit more often now. The thing I liked the most was the concept of Influence and Subtlety.

Each individual in the group has their own influence score, which they can use to requisition gear, call in allies or get favours. It goes up based on the success of the individual's actions, and down if used in certain ways, like calling in an ally, using it excessively, or simply from neglect, as the character fades from people's memories.

Subtlety, on the other hand, is a single value for the whole group, and which changes based on how stealthy or open they are in their day to day activities. It's also kept secret from the players, so they have to either guess what it might be, or actually take some sort of action to work out if people are aware of them or not.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
ClockworkLemon
Legend
Legend

Return to RPGs